[Twisted-Python] multicast

Pandelis Theodosiou ypercube at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 11:07:28 EST 2010

I'm trying to make a Multicast client.

I've tried the simple script found in:

While it shows no errors, it doesn't receive any data. How can I check what
the problem is?
It runs on a Debian 64-bit machine where I've installed Python2.6 and

Could it be some firewall setting?
Is it possible I've somehow screwed with the installation procedure?

from twisted.internet.protocol import DatagramProtocol
from twisted.internet import reactor
from twisted.application.internet import MulticastServer

class MulticastClientUDP(DatagramProtocol):

    def datagramReceived(self, datagram, address):
            print "Received:" + repr(datagram)

# Send multicast on, on our dynamically allocated port
reactor.listenUDP(0, MulticastClientUDP()).write('UniqueID',
                                                 ('', 60044))