[Twisted-Python] twistd --uid and --logfile

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 19 03:56:38 EDT 2010

On 08/19/2010 07:55 AM, twisted-web at udmvt.ru wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 04:35:29PM +0100, Phil Mayers wrote:
>> On 18/08/10 10:25, twisted-web at udmvt.ru wrote:
>>
>>> I think --uid option is too dangerous.
>>> sudo or su or setuidgid (from http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html) is more
>>> appropriate for changing uids.
>>
>> In all cases? I think not.

> There is no option to tell the code when to setuid(), right?
> So, is the place, where it happens now, appropriate for all of your cases?

Honestly, I'm not that bothered. I don't use twistd, so it makes no
difference to me. It seems to me that it ought to be possible to fix the
twistd --uid option to be safe, but maybe I'm wrong. Your argument seems
to be "it's not, remove it, always use setuid helpers" - and it's that
last part I disagree with.

But this is getting rapidly more and more offtopic, so I'm going to drop
out now.