[Twisted-Python] Network newbie

Brian Duffy brduffy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 17:31:40 EDT 2010

Thanks Jason,

Okay, lets say that two users are using this hypothetical application. Each
user has some files on his/her system that were installed locally (as part
of the installation or from disk or whatever). Lets assume that both users
have the same files for the sake of this discussion. The application stores
some unique identifiers for each of these files. From a high level point of
view I would like the users to be able to send a list of identifiers to
another user of the system over the internet to indicate which documents to
view and in what order. There may also be some additional textual data
involved to represent segues between the files to be viewed.

Being new to network programming I am not sure what the simplest way is to
accomplish the task. The nature of the data being communicated is not
confidential but I would like to be reasonably sure that the data is being
generated and sent from the application and user in question.

How will users identify themselves to others for communication. I would like
a user to be able to tell another user what his "address" is and have that
user be able to enter that address into the application and use it whenever
he wishes to send that particular user a sequence of id's and text to be
parsed by the application.

I suppose the application will be acting as both server and client. Any
thoughts?

Thanks again

Brian

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Jason J. W. Williams <
jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you need to define your application functionality a little
> more. You could be describing anything from a web app that implements
> a pasteboard, to a web service shuffling JSON objects around or
> anything in between.
>
> -J
>
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Brian Duffy <brduffy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been wondering how I could develop a python application which
> would
> > make it easy for users of this application to share small amounts of
> textual
> > information over the Internet.
> > The information is not confidential but I would like to ensure that it is
> > coming from and generated by the application in question using ssl. I
> want
> > it to be easy for users of the application to identify and communicate
> with
> > other users of the application.
> > What type of network am I talking about here? I have plenty of
> programming
> > experience, but not much network programming experience. Any advice would
> be
> > appreciated.
> > thanks
> > Brian Duffy