[Twisted-Python] FUSE

Donal McMullan donal.mcmullan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 21:21:27 MDT 2010

I'm interested in doing some FUSE stuff with Twisted, mostly to
prototype some ideas for profiling. Can anyone expand on Glyph's
comment [1]:

8< - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Python FUSE bindings obscure the issue because, unlike the C
libfuse, they assume that your filesystem I/O is blocking, which
severely limits the performance of python-based filesystems.  (You
cannot receive more requests for I/O in your filesystem until the
previous one has been completed with the pyfuse bindings, but you can in
C.)
8< - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I guess I'd like to know before I sink too much time into this, if
there's an approach to Fuse/Twisted that would not have this
limitation. This is a bit confused by the fact that there are three
Fuse/Python bindings that I'm aware of: FusePython, FusePy, and S3QL
[2].

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/fuse/index.php?title=FusePython
http://code.google.com/p/fusepy/
http://code.google.com/p/s3ql/

If you've already been down this road, it'd be good to hear from you.

Thanks

Donal

[1] Glyph's original mail:
http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2007-July/015784.html

[2] S3QL has its own Python/Fuse bindings, according to this post:
http://bugs.python.org/msg98077
..on this issue:
http://bugs.python.org/issue7736