[Twisted-Python] IOCP reactor on Windows 2000

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Sep 9 21:54:42 EDT 2009

On 9 Sep, 03:28 pm, cdelfosse at mandriva.com wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Twisted Python 8.2.0 on Windows 2000 gives me this TB when I try to use
>the IOCP reactor. Is it supported on this platform ? (Works very well
>on
>Windows XP)
>
>The instance's SvcRun() method failed
>  File "win32serviceutil.pyc", line 805, in SvcRun
>  File "server-win32.pyc", line 81, in SvcDoRun
>  File "twisted\internet\iocpreactor\__init__.pyc", line 8, in <module>
>  File "twisted\internet\iocpreactor\reactor.pyc", line 19, in <module>
>  File "twisted\internet\iocpreactor\iocpsupport.pyc", line 12, in
><module>
>  File "twisted\internet\iocpreactor\iocpsupport.pyc", line 10, in
>__load
>  File "iocpsupport.pyx", line 242, in iocpsupport
><type 'exceptions.ValueError'>: Failed to initialize Winsock function
>vectors

We're currently only doing testing on Windows XP.  I know that some
version of iocpreactor worked on Windows 2000 at some point in the past,
but that may have been before the significant rewrite.

We're short on Windows machines for testing already - we barely have
enough for Windows XP coverage.  If support for other platforms would be
useful for you, there are a few (non-exclusive) things you can do:

  - Contribute patches implementing the support you're after.  This is
tricky, since as a project we don't have access to any Windows 2000
machines, and we're much less likely to look at patches that fix issues
on platforms we don't have access to.  However, it's not impossible that
such patches could be accepted.  It depends on the problem and the
patch.

  - Contribute a slave for that platform.  Slaves need to be online most
of the time and be able to run Buildbot and Twisted's test suite.

  - Contribute funds for us to get a machine to run such a slave.

As far as the particular error you're seeing goes, I don't really have a
clue.  I hope that one of the people more familiar with iocpreactor will
chime in about that.

Jean-Paul