[Twisted-Python] Twisted on Jython

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Sep 8 07:55:11 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 6:05 AM, Teemu Harju <teemu.harju at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi, Teemu.

> I've been trying to get Twisted working on Jython and haven't been
> successful yet. I've seen that there are some bugs still on Jython or
> Twisted side. What I'd like to know is that is it currently possible somehow
> get Twisted running on Jython? I've tried using trunk versions of both
> without success.

It is not currently possible, although both the Twisted and Jython teams
would like to see this happen.

There is a ticket - <http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3413> - and a
related branch, "jython-3413", which contains a collection of
quick-and-dirty workarounds; about enough to get 'trial' to bootstrap on
Jython so you can start to fix failing tests.

You could consider submitting patches against that branch, or fixing some of
the related Jython issues (for example: <
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3725>) to help this process along.

I don't believe there's a huge amount of work required to make Twisted work
on Jython, but it needs a couple of days of concerted attention from someone
who really needs it to actually work.  Maybe you could be that person :).