[Twisted-Python] Phasing out old-style classes

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Oct 8 23:45:02 EDT 2009

On 01:03 am, markv at lumierevfx.com wrote:

>>For Python 3.x, oldstyle classes don't exist, so that'll happen
>>automatically during the conversion.
>Aha! Let me rephrase that, then:
>
>Is there a project underway to port Twisted to Python 3.x?

It would be misleading to characterize any part of Twisted development
as "a project underway".  Twisted is a project, certainly.  It may even
be underway itself.  Beyond that point, I don't think the metaphor is
terribly useful or applicable.  People work on Twisted.  Sometimes they
do it with a long term plan.  More often than not, they just have a
feature they want to add or a bug they want to fix.

However, if I were to make up a plan for porting Twisted to Python 3.x,
then the first part of that plan would be to fix all of the failing
tests reported here:

http://buildbot.twistedmatrix.com/builders/python-3k-
warnings/builds/203/steps/trial/logs/problems

These are tests which fail when Twisted's test suite is run with the -3
option on Python 2.6.  Tickets for these failures and patches fixing
them would be greatly appreciated.

Once that's out of the way, it will make sense to talk about what the
next step is.

Jean-Paul