[Twisted-Python] Structural issues in Lore XHTML documents

Kevin Horn kevin.horn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 14:44:02 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Kevin Horn <kevin.horn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been looking over the xhtml documents used to generate the twisted
>> documentation, and I've noticed a number of issues:
>>

> Are these issues really affecting you in some way?

Yes and no.  I'm playing around with some automated processing of these
documents (mostly as an exercise to learn lxml), and I'm having to work
around some of these things.  And since I was thinking about it anyway, I
thought I'd take the opportunity to fix up some "broken windows".

>> I'm planning to correct some of these issues, but I wanted to get others'
>> opinions on exactly how to go about it.  For example, what DOCTYPE to use,
>> XMLNS to use, etc.
>>

> They are supposed to be XHTML, so they should be annotated as appropriate
> for that format.  Lore doesn't define its own attributes, on purpose: it
> uses existing XHTML facilities like "class" to encode its metadata.

The main thing I was worried about was whether they were supposed ot be
xhtml-strict or xhtml-transitional.

> Thoughts?  Suggestions?
>>

> I'm sure we'd be happy to accept some patches to clean these documents up,
> especially if it's bothering you, but it seems pretty low-priority to me :).

It's not "bothering" me per se, and we're agreed that it's not any kind of
priority, just thought I might as well try and fix it up while I was looking
at it.

FYI: I've hacked together a simple "lorelint" script to automatically check
for these type of issues.  Happy to share if anyone thinks it might be
useful for future release mgmt automation or whatever.

Kevin Horn