[Twisted-Python] Use of 'twistd' utility with command-line arguments

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Oct 1 16:55:34 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Valeriy Pogrebitskiy
<vpogrebi at verizon.net>wrote:

> I came across some problem using 'twistd' utility - that I would not have
> expected from it. The problem is - using 'twistd' to start application that
> requires command-line arguments. In other words, I would expect that
> 'twistd' passes command-line arguments to Python application - just as
> Python does.

While this is a reasonable expectation, twistd does quite a lot and it
wouldn't be quite right to pass on all the arguments in a flat list the way
Python does.

> My question is: how is it possible to use 'twistd' to start applications
> that do require command-line arguments? Does anyone have suggestions?

twistd doesn't do this for scripts passed with the '-y' option.  Those are
supposed to be fully-formed configuration files; the options are present in
the file itself.

However, it's fairly straightforward to get what you want.  Instead of
writing a python configuration file, write a plug-in for twistd.  The
technique for doing so is documented here:

<http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/tap.html>

Hope this helps.