[Twisted-Python] Deferred SOAP methods

Landreville landreville at deadtreepages.com
Fri Nov 13 10:42:50 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM, <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On 02:52 pm, landreville at deadtreepages.com wrote:
> >I am making a SOAP server and all (or at least the vast majority) will
> >be
> >returning a deferred. The whole SOAP method is encapsulated in a
> >deferred in
> >most of my cases (I havent implemented this part yet.) Then I got the
> >idea
> >that twisted.web.soap could just wrap my SOAP method (retrieved with
> >lookupFunction) in a deferred and return that deferred right away.
> >
> >For instance I would change twisted.web.soap.render  where it says d =
> >defer.maybeDeferred to  d = threads.deferToThread
>
> It sounds like you're conflating Deferreds and threads a little bit.
>
> The reason Twisted doesn't use deferToThread on any method it calls by
> default is that threads are a really bummer.  You have to worry about
> thread safety, you generally lose repeatability and determinism, your
> unit tests become a lot harder to write, if it's still possible to write
> them at all.  Then there are the performance considerations.  There are
> many kinds of code that CPython threads don't make any faster (and many
> kinds which it makes slower).
>
> On the other hand, sometimes you really do want to do your work in a
> thread.  That's why deferToThread exists, after all - to make your life
> a little bit simpler when those cases do arise. :)
>
> What is it that you're going to be doing in these SOAP methods?
>
> Jean-Paul

They are doing a bunch of setting and retrieving information from databases.
There are a couple that load more modules which add more SOAP methods for
interacting with a different database.

 None of the calls depend on eachother, so I don't want/need any of them to
block the application from processing the next soap call. Is there other
ways of generating deferreds without threads that I haven't seen?