[Twisted-Python] untwisting twistd

Phil Christensen phil at bubblehouse.org
Mon Jun 22 18:29:39 EDT 2009

On Jun 22, 2009, at 5:38 PM, glyph at divmod.com wrote:
> On 09:06 pm, phil at bubblehouse.org wrote:
>> Look at the init script used to start MySQL sometime, particularly
>> when installed from a package on a finicky distro like debian. Or
>> Apache. Or bind. Or any one of a number of other complex daemons
>> you'll find that it's not usually advisable (or possible) to launch
>> any of these daemons without an endless list of command-line options.
>
> Sure, but we should be able to do better than that, right? :)

Ha, almost definitely ;-)

But in my particular use cases, it doesn't often matter. For example,
I usually like to deploy production servers under non-privileged
accounts using authbind, which means that I'll usually need to make
some kind of init script.

Of course, these days I hardly ever write anything that *doesn't*
launch at startup, and my command-line options are almost always
'server-specific' instead of 'job-specific'.

Consequently most of my CLI options can just be set once for each
machine and generally forgotten about, so I'm not really a good
candidate to judge the importance of an enhanced twistd API...

-phil