[Twisted-Python] Dropin.cache errors after clean install of twisted-8.2.0

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Wed Jun 17 20:56:48 EDT 2009

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:37:01 -0700, Alex Clemesha <clemesha at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Alex Clemesha<clemesha at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just type "sudo twistd" and the errors will go away.
>> (You may already know of this work-around)
>>
>>  I agree with you that it would be nice for these to never show up in
>> the first place.
>> I looked at the ticket you mention, but it seems that the cleaner solution
>> would be to resolve these issues at install/upgrade time.
>
>Just to follow up on this a bit more, reading from here:
>http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/plugin.html
>in the section "Plugin Caching", there is this quote:
>
>"""
>[snip]... when installing or removing software which provides Twisted
>plugins, the site administrator should be sure the cache is
>regenerated. Well-behaved package managers for such software should
>take this task upon themselves, since it is trivially automatable.
>"""
>
>The way I read this, requiring the site admin to run "sudo twistd" to
>regenerate the cache file is a feature, not a bug.
>Twisted devs: is this the case?  Still maybe the install should do the
>"trivially automatable" bit?

The "package managers" referred to in that document are things like dpkg
and rpm which easily support running arbitrary code after installation.

It's rather difficult to automate with distutils, though (which is how
the original poster installed Twisted, I am assuming).  However, if
someone figures out how, a patch will be accepted happily. :)

Jean-Paul