[Twisted-Python] Need working examples of imap4 client.

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jun 11 05:56:10 EDT 2009

Pywinder Singh wrote:

> Ideally, I'd love to see a snipped which is able to log into an imap
> server and gets a list of mailboxes.  If the example on the site works

Here you go:

#!/usr/bin/python

from twisted.internet import reactor, protocol, defer
from twisted.mail import imap4

# change these...
username = '?'
password = '?'
servername = '?'

def mailboxes(list):
     for flags,sep,mbox in list:
         print mbox

def loggedin(res, proto):
     d = proto.list('','*')
     d.addCallback(mailboxes)
     return d

def connected(proto):
     print "connected", proto
     d = proto.login(username, password)
     d.addCallback(loggedin, proto)
     return d

def failed(f):
     print "failed", f
     return f

def done(_):
     reactor.callLater(0, reactor.stop)

def main():
     c = protocol.ClientCreator(reactor, imap4.IMAP4Client)
     d = c.connectTCP(servername, 143)
     d.addCallbacks(connected, failed)
     d.addBoth(done)

reactor.callLater(0, main)
reactor.run()

This example makes use of deferred chaining i.e. returning a deferred
from a callback handler, so you'll want to understand that.