[Twisted-Python] inlineCallbacksDecorator

Drew Smathers drew.smathers at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 14:31:16 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Terry Jones<terry at jon.es> wrote:
> I try to avoid using inlineCallbacks. There are two cases where I will
> happily use it though: when I write a method that would need more than a
> few callback functions, and, more importantly, when the logical flow of a
> method is non-trivial (i.e., it depends on the returned values or errors of
> several deferreds).
>
> One inconvenience with inlineCallbacks is that you might have some kind of
> processing you want done no matter how the function returns, or wherever an
> error occurs. Two solutions here are 1) to put try/except calls around your
> various yields, and/or to perhaps do something else with various callbacks
> that might call defer.returnValue, or 2) expect each caller of your method
> to deal with the result. I don't like the first of those much (depending on
> the code), and don't like the second at all.

How does inlineCallbacks preclude you from adding "processing you want
done no matter how the function returns" or currying callbacks?  From
my understanding of the problem, this is already solved by attaching
callbacks/errbacks in the regular way:

@inlineCallbacks
def foo(a, b, c):
foo(a, b, c).addBoth(cb, a, b, c)