[Twisted-Python] Twisted book(s)?

Kevin Horn kevin.horn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 03:48:33 EDT 2009

Yeah, those reviews are excellent, but I couldn't remember where I'd read
them.

The O'Reilly book is ok if you want a lot of VERY basic examples of how to
do stuff in Twisted.  I also found the introduction somewhat useful, even
though I knew most of it.

I haven't read the Foundations of Python Network Programming book, but I've
flipped through it a couple of ties at the bookstore.
I decided against it, because I basically knew all the stuff in the
non-twisted chapters, and I didn't want to buy the whole book for just the
Twisted stuff.  Since you're new to Python as well as Twisted it would
probably be much more useful to you.  I've heard lots of good things about
it.

Either way, though, you aren't going to get a whole lot more than an intro
to Twisted in either one, mostly because, well, Twisted is HUGE.  It does a
vast number of things, lots of it you'll probably never have to deal
with...except when you do.

The online docs are pretty good as far as accuracy...most of it is pretty up
to date (or at least up to date ENOUGH), but it's organization is kind of
wacky.  At least is doesn't fit my brain very well...I have trouble finding
things.

I would love to see another Twisted book, but it's kind of a small niche to
get publishers to go for.  Maybe an online book, or something published
on-demand could work, though.

Kevin