[Twisted-Python] twisted.positioning: status report and request for comments/feedback

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Jul 31 16:28:22 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Laurens Van Houtven <lvh at laurensvh.be>wrote:

> Also, regarding the message classes at every level: does this include
> the top level? I thought the top level (eg most abstracted) would
> contain a number of callbacks, such as:
>
>    positionReceived(self, latitude, longitude)
>    positionErrorReceived(self, hdop, vdop, pdop)
>    altitudeReceived(self, altitude)
>    altitudeErrorReceived(self, ...)
>
> Et cetera. A sentence at this level seems a bit superfluous, but I can
> see it being somewhat useful internally.

I don't have a strong preference either way.  My point about having a
"sentenceReceived" at the lower levels has more to do with the question of
where to factor the dispatch: *interfaces* typically shouldn't have
prefix_Foo methods on them, since you can always have an unexpected
prefix_Bar if the dispatch mechanism is expanded.  However,
"positionReceived" has nice, well-defined semantics of its own, so the
interface you've outlined here sounds good to me.