[Twisted-Python] License for code in twisted's sandbox?

Vishal Shetye vishalshetye at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 02:11:24 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 20:41:42 -0400, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> >On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Vishal Shetye <vishalshetye at gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> I had posted a query about laxdb on this list
> >> http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2009-July/020030.html
> >> laxdb code is in sandbox and is not released with twisted. The file itself
> >> does not have any license.
> >> Can it be used assuming the same license as that of twisted.
> >>

> >In general you can assume code in Twisted's sandbox is released under the
> >same license as Twisted itself.
>
> You can assume it, but it'd be safer to read the license file :)
>
>    http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/sandbox/LICENSE
>
> >It's safest to check with the author personally (in this case, mg) in case
> >there is some reason for an exception.
>
> So you definitely should do this.
>

> >However, I would strongly discourage you from using this code in any
> >capacity other than trying to contribute patches which add it (and by "it" I
> >mean tested, working versions of it) to some existing twisted module, in
> >this case adbapi.  As it says, it is "experimental, untested, incomplete",
> >it hasn't been updated in 4 years, and I assume it is totally unsupported,
> >both by its author and by the Twisted team in general.  If it breaks, you
> >can't even keep both pieces, you have to dispose of them as toxic waste.
> >

> That's all still excellent advice.
>
> Jean-Paul

Thanks, I will check with the author.

I assume License file for sandbox warns against use of experimental,
untested code but it still allows one to use it at his own risk :)
Regarding contributing patches; I am not very much sure about what
scenarios should be tested, that is exactly what I tried to ask in my
post that I referred to here.
Anyways, if someone guides me as to what should be tested, I will be
more than happy to contribute.
I am not sure though, whether Laxdb, which has completely different
api, can be added as patch to existing adbapi.
--
vishal