[Twisted-Python] An alternative Twisted GPS protocol implementation

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Jul 19 16:58:23 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Laurens Van Houtven<lvh at laurensvh.be> wrote:

> Right now it only supports NMEA. The old system supported Rockwell as
> well. What I'd like to hear from you (you mostly being potential users
> of this piece of code): do you care about Rockwell (aka Zodiac)
> support? If you're just using twisted.protocols.gps now, I'm
> interested in hearing from you as well of course :-)

The default assumption, if nobody replies to this, should be that
nobody is using Rockwell support and we can safely deprecate it
without a replacement.

> SiRF support for now is probably out of the question. It's a whole
> different ball game. Parsing it is *hard* (it's much more complicated
> than just a binary representation of the same data).

For the time being (at least, for the purposes of including a new
implementation in Twisted), I don't think we need to worry about this
- it would be great to file an enhancement later, but we don't have it
yet so we shouldn't have to consider it to improve the implementation
of existing protocols.

> Replies welcome, alternatively you can usually catch me at this email
> address or as lvh on freenode (in the usual suspects: #python,
> #twisted...)

I would appreciate it if we could keep the discussion, or at least the
conclusions of this discussion, archived in some relevant place.  The
mailing list could be a good be a good place to start the discussion,
but there should be a ticket, and the ticket should link to that
discussion.  Similarly, if you talk about it on #twisted, you should
attach a comment at the end of that conversation, pasting any
conclusions that happened there.  (You shouldn't really talk about it
on #python.  It's a difficult place to have a focused technical
discussion.)

Sorry if this all seems overly fussy, but repetitive discussions and
half-remembered conclusions are the bane of open source in general,
and have long been a problem on Twisted specifically.  A little bit of
effort to record everything on a ticket now will save someone — maybe
even you — a lot of effort in a couple of months when they're looking
at it in a few months if you get distracted and can't work on it.