[Twisted-Python] LoopingCall at a non-idling reactor

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Jul 18 16:06:16 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Ilya Etingof<ilya at glas.net> wrote:

> I can't get Twisted reactor calling my function in a more or less
> periodic fashion with the LoopingCall mechanics.
>
> With select()-based reactor, the LoopingCall object seems to call back my
> timer function only on select() timeout. If I/O pace does not allow
> select() to time out, LoopingCall never calls my function.

This doesn't sound accurate to me.  If your reactor is constantly
doing I/O, the timed call in question will be called when the
appropriate amount of time has passed.

Select does not "time out"; it just returns some result.  If it is
returning purely do to the passage of time, then the result will be
empty, but Twisted doesn't treat that type of result specially.

Can you provide a short, sample program which demonstrates the
behavior you're talking about?