[Twisted-Python] Getting involved in Python 3.0 porting

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Tue Jan 27 14:08:15 EST 2009

On 05:12 pm, ceronman at gmail.com wrote:
>This year I'm going to start my graduation project for software
>engineering and I want to use Python and Twisted. I want to use Python
>3.0 but unfortunately, Twisted doesn't support 3.0 yet and I've read
>that this is not exactly a high priority right now. As this is an open
>source project, I thought the best thing I can do is to contribute
>with the porting. Then I have some questions:

Thanks!  We can always use help, and the 3.0 port is a major project
which we currently have no manpower for, so we can especially use help
for that.
>Is someone leading the porting process?

You, now :).
>Have you defined a porting strategy?

Yes.  It's outlined here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/172306/how-are-you-planning-on-
handling-the-migration-to-python-3#214601
>What is the best way in which I can contribute to this?

Twisted's test suite currently emits a _lot_ of warnings.  In order to
do a python 3 port, we'll need to be getting zero warnings on python 2.6
with the -3 switch.  If we are even going to be able to _see_ those
warnings, we need to get down to zero warnings and adopt a zero-
tolerance policy on new warnings being added.

So the first thing you should do is find, file, and fix as many tickets
as you can related to warnings in tests; warnings from Twisted itself,
warnings from the stdlib, warnings from dependencies.

When you're done with that we can talk about what comes next :).