[Twisted-Python] Plugins in files with hyphenated names found in 2.5.0 but not in 8.1.0

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi at mithrandi.net
Tue Jan 20 07:53:09 EST 2009

* Terry Jones <terry at jon.es> [2009-01-20 12:23:26 +0100]:

> We just upgraded to Twisted 8.1 from 2.5 and discovered that
> twisted.plugin.getPlugins no longer finds our plugins.
>
> After much head scratching, Esteve noticed that the plugins were not being
> returned because the are in files that have hyphens in their names. There's
> no mention of this in the release notes, at least that I can see. Perhaps
> the change crept in unnoticed.

The exact change, I believe, is that plugin source files have to be
valid python modules; that is to say, you have to be able to do:

import foo.plugins.some_plugin

> I guess this restriction on plugin-containing filenames should either be
> documented, or the code should be made to work as it did. I'm happy to open
> a ticket - though the text of the ticket would depend on which solution is
> preferred.

I believe this change was deliberate, so I expect it won't be reverted,
but perhaps someone else can comment further on the design motivations
(and confirm that my explanation is correct).