[Twisted-Python] official packaging

Esteve Fernandez esteve at sindominio.net
Mon Feb 23 05:48:04 EST 2009

Hi all,

I recently came across this issue [1], and Glyph commented about official
packaging.

We're using Ubuntu Hardy and created packages for Twisted 8.2.0, as Ubuntu LTS
is our platform of choice. Those packages were accepted by their official
maintainer (Matthias Klose, doko at debian.org) and uploaded to Ubuntu Jaunty
and Debian unstable.

Sadly, the official packages now use python-central (>=0.6.11), which isn't
available in Hardy, so we'll have to stick to the packages in our PPA [2] In
any case, we'll update them when Twisted 9.0 is released, but I think it
would be better to upload them to a PPA repository officially approved by the
Twisted team.

Anyway, it would be great to have recent packages of Twisted for distributions
that offer some kind of long term support contracts (Ubuntu, RHEL, etc.), but
that tend to get a bit outdated.

Cheers.

1 - http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3102
2 - https://launchpad.net/~fluidinfo/+archive/ppa