[Twisted-Python] Lore to Sphinx Conversion Progress Report 2

Kevin Horn kevin.horn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 16:00:43 EST 2009

Hmmm...I guess my "send an update every week" idea was a little optimistic.
:)

Again haven't had as much time to devote to this as I would have preferred.
More of Glyph's "real life" getting in the way I guess (had a new baby added
to the household last week!), but here's a quick rundown:

- proposal [1] once again updated, though not much...timeline for "Phase 0"
still needs some work

- lore2sphinx tool: some progress, though I'd hoped for more.  Inclusion of
external files (like code samples) now works, though I'm borking leading
whitespace somewhere, so python files are mis-formatted.  Some of the
whitespace handling is improved (nested lists seem to work OK now), but it
needs more work.  I think I have a general plan for how to fix this, but it
just requires some elbow-grease.  I've also done quite a bit of refactoring,
to make my mess of code a bit easier to grok.  Still to do: tables,
citations, footnotes, and some improved handling of <code> tags, as well as
the afore-mentioned whitespace-handling fixes.

- theme: haven't really started this yet, just a bit of research

- Divmod docs: haven't really touched this yet...it's in the queue

- PyOpenSSL docs: I got an email from Georg Brandl, with a pointer to the
tools used to convert the old LaTeX Python docs to Sphinx [2].  According to
Georg, it may need some tweaking, but should pretty much work for converting
the pyOpenSSL docs.  Looking at the code for this has also helped me a bit
with a few minor problems I was having.  So kudos for Georg!  Also, it looks
like the source of the pyOpenSSL docs are indeed in the source tarball, so
hopefully I can make some headway on this pretty soon.

I'm not really speeding along with this project, but I am making some slow
progress.  As the tortoise said: "Slow and steady wins the race!"

Comments and suggestions welcome!

[1] http://twistedsphinx.funsize.net/proposal.html
[2] http://svn.python.org/projects/doctools/converter