[Twisted-Python] Deferred on PyPI

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Dec 9 19:12:24 EST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 4:01 PM, Mikhail Terekhov wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 3:27 AM, Jonathan Lange <jml at mumak.net> wrote:
>>
>> I completely screwed up with the advanced English usage then. :(

> IMHO it is very simple: extracting Deferreds out of Twisted would benefit  (if
> at all) only people who do not use or develop Twisted. From the packaging
> point of view recent integration of the half a dozen Twisted related
> packages into one package was a big win for both users and maintainers. Extracting Deferreds would be a step backwards.

I can certainly understand (and sympathize with) this point of view, but...

> Did I miss something?

Not quite.  You brought it up right here:

> IMHO from the practical point of view the only case when separation of Deferreds would benefit Twisted community as a whole would be inclusion of it into the standard library,
> but this is not going to happen soon ...

If nobody ever takes Deferred and puts it outside of Twisted, then this will happen "never" instead of "not soon".  Eventually, somebody does need to bite the bullet and clean up Deferred for submission into the standard library.  The work that jml is doing here will help that, and so it's a worthwhile goal, even if it eventually brings some pain along with it.

When Deferred is in the standard library, it will enable communication between code written for different asynchronous backends, which is not currently possible.