[Twisted-Python] Deferred on PyPI

Mikhail Terekhov termim at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 16:01:42 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 3:27 AM, Jonathan Lange <jml at mumak.net> wrote:

> I completely screwed up with the advanced English usage then. :(

IMHO it is very simple: extracting Deferreds out of Twisted would benefit  (if
at all) only people who do not use or develop Twisted. From the packaging
point of view recent integration of the half a dozen Twisted related
packages into
one package was a big win for both users and maintainers. Extracting Deferreds
would be a step backwards. As it was already mentioned in this thread it would
bring an additional headache of maintaining versions compatibility
etc. to Twisted
developers. For Twisted users (especially those who uses their system's package
managers) it would mean to install bunch of packages instead of only
one again ...

Let's try to estimate the practical benefits such separation would bring:

 - ability to write 'from deferreds import Deferred' instead of
    'from twisted.internet.defer import Deferred' - IMHO is a very minor one.

 - ability to use 'python setup.py install'  in ~/Deferreds-1.2.3 instead of
   'python setup.py install' in ~/twisted-9.0.0 or 'apt-get deffereds'
instead of
   'apt-get twisted' does not count as a big one either.

 - ability to save couple of megabytes of disk space during
installation - these days
    it is almost a joke :)

 - ability to save some when distributing your product with py2exe and
such - that is
   something. But this can be solved without separation - just
eliminate dependencies
   of the twisted.internet.defer from the rest of the system and write
smart enough setup.py
   (I believe patches, examples and docs are welcome as usual)

Did I miss something?

IMHO from the practical point of view the only case when separation of
Deferreds would
benefit Twisted community as a whole would be inclusion of it into the
standard library,
but this is not going to happen soon ...

Bottom line - I wouldn't blame Twisted developers for the lack of
enthusiasm in this case.

Regards,
--
Mikhail Terekhov