[Twisted-Python] LoopingCall question : ping w/ timeout using shared variable -> problem

Gabriel Rossetti gabriel.rossetti at arimaz.com
Thu Sep 25 05:33:39 EDT 2008

Hello everyone!

I have written some code uses a LoopingCall to send a "ping" at regular
intervals. If it hasn't received an answer before the next call, it
notifies me that the destination isn't available, if it does then it
does nothing. I am getting lots of "unavailables" on hosts that are, I
tried augmenting the timeout (the ping interval) and it doesn't change
anything. I think what is happening is I'm using a simple variable to
keep the availability state and that since protocol and the
LoopingCall's callback both access the variable, this causes problems.
Is there a better way of doing things or am I bound to use some sort of
locking mechanism? If I have to use locking, which one do you recommend?

Thank you,
Gabriel