[Twisted-Python] Twisted XMPP Roadmap

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Thu Sep 4 09:37:13 EDT 2008

On 08:57 am, twisted at ralphm.ik.nu wrote:
>On 2008-09-04 09:55, Phil Mayers wrote:
>>Agreed. When I did some work recently to implement the client side of
>>pubsub, I found that mailing list moribund and gave up on the idea of
>>asking for help there.

>That said, yeah the list might have been somewhat quiet, partly because
>I have been bad at communicating what I've been up to recently. It does
>have about 50 people subscribing to it, and I am so far not convinced
>that all of them would want to be dragged into general Twisted
>discussions.

I agree with Chris and JP here: I certainly plan to discuss XMPP issues
here on the main Twisted mailing list.  I _want_ to "drag" these folks
into general Twisted discussions - and with over 1000 people on this
list already, with a hugely divergent array of interests in Twisted,
somehow I am guessing those 50 won't need to be dragged too hard :).

There is still a lot to be decided as to how Twisted's XMPP code will
integrate with the rest of Twisted: what is the (protocol-agnostic)
common domain model for chat?  How should different XMPP components and
modules use twisted.cred?  I think that these core integration
mechanisms are a huge part of what makes Twisted great.  These questions
need to be answered by people who know Twisted's abstractions as well as
those who know XMPP's.

What to do with the twisted-jabber mailing list is certainly up to you,
and perhaps current discussion of wokkel, palaver, and idavoll does not
belong here; but certainly development of twisted.words should be
discussed in as general a forum as possible.