[Twisted-Python] Re: Event notification and general RPC in Twisted...

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 01:18:28 EST 2008

David, thanks for your response, it's great when people take the time
to read a lengthy question and then respond with some insight!

David Ripton wrote:
> PB allows both ends of the connection to send and receive at any time,
> over a single connection.  I use it for a game where multiple clients
> connect via TCP to a server, and then the clients send messages to the
> server whenever they want, and the server sends messages to one or more
> clients whenever it wants (over the original connections initiated by
> the clients, so the clients don't need to open any holes in their
> firewalls), and everything just stinking works.

I ended up sort of answering this one for myself by just playing with
a basic chat server example and sniffing packets - only saw
SYN,SYN-ACK,ACK once for each client. Though it would be nice if the
documentation gave this level of detail, presumably this is something
that belongs with the different transports.

> That's not the way XML-RPC is typically done.  Clearly you could make a
> protocol that uses XML-RPC payload over a persistent connection.  But
> you'd lose the ability to use arbitrary XML-RPC libraries unmodified,
> which is probably the main benefit of choosing XML-RPC.

Duh, good point! Guess I was kinda trying to map our requirements onto
an example that looked easy (from the book).

> If not for the Java requirement, I would say that Twisted is a good fit,
> and that you could use either PB or AMP, depending on whether you want
> to pass around complex types or simple ones.  But if you need Java,
> I don't know.

Guess I'll have to take a closer look at the Java implementation. Not
sure why I didn't stumble across AMP before but looks promising...

Thanks,
-Blair

--
In science one tries to tell people, in such a way
as to be understood by everyone, something that