[Twisted-Python] suggestions for naming to help us preserve a Twisted trademark

Duncan McGreggor duncan.mcgreggor at gmail.com
Sat May 31 16:51:19 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 2:27 PM,  <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:
> On 12:14 am, duncan.mcgreggor at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Man, I think you totally hit it on the nose with your "tx" suggestion:
>> tx.snmp, tx.storage. I maintain the Twisted-JSONRPC package, and I
>> will change the namespace from twisted.web.jsonrpc to tx.jsonrpc. Not
>> only does it have a cool sound, entails "TwistedmatriX", is associated
>> with "transmit", but it could also stand for "Twisted eXtensions" (in
>> the "add on" sense).
>
> Thanks for the encouragement :) but a minor point: I think it's important
> that these packages use 'py' in the same way most projects do, since sharing
> namespaces in Python is such a pain.  i.e. in pygame you do 'import pygame',
> in pygtk you do 'import gtk'.  The existence of the separate 'py' library /
> namespace complicates matters somewhat, but that's a single entity that has
> nothing to do with 99% of the PyFoo projects out there.

Hrm. I really like the idea of the community sharing a namespace. But
maybe that's just my software hippy/commune side coming out...

> So these names would be 'txjsonrpc', 'txsnmp', 'txstorage', et. al.

As a name, I don't know what appeals to me more... txJSONRPC,
TxJSONRPC, txjsonrpc. As a namespace, I really do like tx.jsonrpc ;-)

> It seems like different people have different ideas for this convention,
> which sounds great to me too.  If we have a few "Twisty XYZ" libraries and a
> few "TxABC" libraries that's fine by me :).  The whole point here is that
> it's a suggestion and a convention, not a mandate from the core team like so
> many things in the Twistedverse.

Now that, I am totally in favor of :-) No mandates, just
encouragement. Most of all, encouragement to participate and share
Twisted-based code/projects :-)