[Twisted-Python] suggestions for naming to help us preserve a Twisted trademark

Michael ms at cerenity.org
Fri May 30 05:52:30 EDT 2008

On Friday 30 May 2008 01:25:19 Tim Stebbing wrote:
> why?
>
> I mean, if you trademark 'Twisted' and developer X goes and calls his
> bit of code 'twisted foo' are you going to pursue him in court? To
> what end?

There's also defensive trademarking. If Linux (for example) had been
trademarked early, this would never have happened:

    In the United States, the name Linux is a trademark registered to Linus
    Torvalds.[59] Initially, nobody registered it, but on August 15, 1994,
    William R. Della Croce, Jr. filed for the trademark Linux, and then
    demanded royalties from Linux distributors. In 1996, Torvalds and some
    affected organizations sued him to have the trademark assigned to
    Torvalds, and in 1997 the case was settled.[60]
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux#Licensing.2C_trademark.2C_and_naming )

Michael.