[Twisted-Python] interaction problems with wxreactor and conch under linux

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Tue May 27 16:13:11 EDT 2008

On Tue, 27 May 2008 13:45:26 -0500, Mark Dillavou <mlists at line72.net> wrote:
>I have a large program that is built using wxpython and twisted in which the
>client sends commands through ssh (using conch) to the server.  Under linux
>I have found some very strange results. If the user is not doing anything
>(i.e. not moving the mouse or doing anything to cause the window to redraw),
>then conch seems to stop processing and hang the whole twisted loop.  As
>soon as the user moves the mouse, clicks a button, or does something to
>cause the window to refresh, then conch immediately starts processing again
>and the twisted loop begins calling callbacks again.

Hi Mark,

I tried your attached program and didn't see the bad behavior you described.
I tried it with Twisted trunk at HEAD, Python 2.5.1, and wxPython
2.6.3.2.1.5ubuntu12.  How does this compare to the versions you're using?

Differing behavior on different platforms doesn't surprise me at all, since
wx itself has a lot of subtle differences on different platforms.

Jean-Paul