[Twisted-Python] Re: Advice sought on application evolution

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 25 13:20:07 EDT 2008

Hi Justin:

> Too much serialization, even accidental
>serialization, trades comprehensibility for
>performance.  I think that's a reasonable place
>to  start: make your system easy to understand, then
>make it fast once you know what's going on.

JW>How does the saying go? "Premature optimisation is
JW>the root of all evil"?

Butler Lampson in the paper "Hints for Computer System
Design" saids "Get it right! Neither abstraction nor
simplicity is a substitute for getting it right."

I think if there is a tao of Twisted, its tenets would
be performance and getting it right.

A part of getting things right, is knowing what wrong
looks like. Both Twisted and (Stackless - what I work
with), don't dedicate much time to showing what is
definitely wrong.

>The easiest place to start learning is with code that
>looks like all the other code you've written before.

I am not sure about this approach although there is
much to be said about having a programming style that
makes you feel confident to tackle problems.

I find a good way to learn is looking at good but
simple examples that do something useful, then tinker
with them. This is the way some of my favourite
computer books work - the various
Kernighan/Richie/Plauger books, Steven's "Unix Network

In the case of Twisted, I found the Abe Fettig book
good - I looked at webcat.py and requesthandler.py and
that gave me a start. From time to time, I also posted
on this mailing list to get little examples - very

I also like the design patterns approach to learning:
this is the name, the situation/context, the problem,
the solution, references.

I think Twisted would benefit from this approach when
one is dealing with common situations like say "call
database from request handler" or "separate business
logic from network logic."

Looking for last minute shopping deals?