[Twisted-Python] Re: 8.0.0pre2

Nicola Larosa nico at teknico.net
Sun Mar 23 16:46:24 EDT 2008

Phil Christensen wrote:
> I've got to defend the new scheme, because I like big version numbers,
> and Twisted is awesome enough that I think it deserves them, like
> Ubuntu (which I admit is the only other project I know of that uses
> the yearly version scheme....well, besides the windows 9x
> series... ;-) ).
>
> But one thing that I think is nice about Ubuntu's scheme is that point
> releases are based on the month of the year.
>
> I wonder if the Twisted approach of mixing the year-style and the
> fractional-version style might be too confusing.

I have to second this. Using the year is fine, but:

1) mixing the year for major and arbitrary minor and bugfix is ugly;

2) doing something like Ubuntu, but not quite, does not help.

--
Nicola Larosa - http://www.tekNico.net/

Sometimes you don't want things that work like the real world, sometimes
you want things that work like computers. -- Damien Katz, April 2006