[Twisted-Python] Re: Twisted Trial

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Jun 20 17:50:41 EDT 2008

Jake b wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 3:48 AM, Torsten A. <c2k_list at gmx.de
> <mailto:c2k_list at gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     Thank you all for your replies.
>
>     @Christian:
>     I should have mentioned that. The current directory is in the
>     pythonpath. In
>     the variable PYHTONPATH the dot is set and when I walk through the
>     filesystem, starting python from different locations, the current
>     path is
>     always set in sys.path. Hence, I asssume that PythonPath is set
>     correctly.
>     So your suggestion, what I thought would work
>      >  cd \original_project
>      >  trial package_to_test
>      >
>      >  cd \modified_project
>      >  trial package_to_test
>     does actually not work. Who knows why...
>
> I'm guessing this is abnormal behavior that's on WinXP only? I on winXP
> have tried setting multiple environment variables to include a project
> path, but imports did not work. The only way I could add a path to
> python's import paths on winXP was to edit the registry.
>
> If PYTHONPATH being set in windowsXP doesn't seem to have any effect
> (Like it doesn't seem to work for me ) the only fix I found was a
> registry edit. At the path:
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.5\PythonPath create a new key, ie:
> 'project1', create a new value, name=(Default),
> value='c:\data\path\to\project'

PYTHONPATH works just fine under XP. You need to either set it globally
(in the System Properties|Advanced|Environment variables) or use a "set"
statement from the command line in a specific session. And don't forget
the list should be semicolon separated under Windows.

>     I have never really used a version control system I have to admit. I
>     thought
>     of control systems to log changes which can in case of severe damage
>     or what
>     ever reason be made undone. But if I can execute different versions
>     of the
>     project, e.g. in my case the initial version and the last modified,
>     just by
>     saying run this one or that one, I am glad to use it. Can this be done
>     (excuse my probably dumb question)? Can someone please give me
>     catchword to
>     search for? As I looked briefly in the bazaar guide
>     (http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr.dev/en/user-guide/index.html) I
>     wasn't able
>     to find anything helpful.
>
> ( I don't know much about version control, it's something I'm looking
> into. ) A term to search, maybe you're looking for is 'clone' or 'branch'.
>
> If you meant to search for differnt code versioning programs, here's
> some: Mercurial ( http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/ ), Subversion (
> http://subversion.tigris.org/ ), TortoiseSVN ( http://tortoisesvn.net/ )

Subversion might be a friendly place to start. Good documentation anyway!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119