[Twisted-Python] chaining deferreds

Dorian Raymer deldotdr at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 17:23:16 EDT 2008

Hi Andy,
Your example code is very close to working. The reason the chain didn't
proceed as you expected is because the callbacks of the second
Deferredcreated in the function
print_something were never triggered to run.

You need to keep track of what actually triggers a deferred's callback chain
to run and what each of the callback functions return.
In practice, that second deferred could have been replaced by some
asynchronous function that actually returned a deferred, and your code would
have worked.

The simplest change to make you code work is to change print_something to
this:

def print_something(x):
    print "printing: ", x
    d = defer.Deferred()
    d.addCallbacks(do_something_inbetween, oops)
    d.callback("printed something")
    return d
Doing this is kind of redundant though, because in this case it is
equivalent to:

def print_something(x):
    print "printing: ", x
    return do_something_inbetween('printed_something')

Another thing you can do instead of creating a new deferred is wrap the call
to do_something_inbetween with defer.maybeDeferred. This is convenient
because if do_something_inbetween does not return a deferred (which is the
case here), then maybeDeferred will do this for you.

Here's an example (a slight modification of your original) that includes
calling a function that returns a deferred and using maybeDeferred to
construct a deferred chain.

from twisted.internet import reactor, defer

def do_something_inbetween(x):
    print "doing something else: ", x
    return "done something else"

def print_something(x):
    print "printing: ", x
    d = defer.maybeDeferred(do_something_inbetween,'printed something')
    d.addCallbacks(finish_up, oops)
    return d

def finish_up(x):
    print "finishing up with: ", x

def oops(e):
    print str(e)

def go():
    print "constructed deferred"
    d = defer.Deferred()
    return d

def extra(r):
    print 'extra', r
    return r

d = go()
d.addCallback(print_something)
d.addCallback(extra)
d.addErrback(oops)
reactor.callLater(1, d.callback, "hello mr")
reactor.callLater(5, reactor.stop)
print "setup everything"
reactor.run()

Hope that helps.