[Twisted-Python] Twisted Trial

Phil Christensen phil at bubblehouse.org
Tue Jun 17 15:45:06 EDT 2008

On Jun 17, 2008, at 3:30 PM, Matthieu Brucher wrote:
> 2008/6/17 Andy Fundinger <Andy at newworldelectric.com>:
>> It's not quite an answer to your immediate question, but I would
>> suggest
>> setting up Subversion (http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/) to track your
>> versions.  That way you can keep all your versions modified,
>> partially
>> modified, unmodified, etc. and pull back any old version as
>> appropriate.
>> This looks like a tutorial for the kind of setup you'd need for that:
>>
>> http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/2820--
>
> A smaller VCS without a server would be more efficient for private
> testing and comparisons. So try bzr (my favorite), hg or git.

I'm becoming a pretty big Bazaar fan, but if you're going for
simplicity, a distributed VCS like Bazaar or git could be difficult
for someone who has had no exposure to source control.

Even with Subversion, although some will have no problem understanding
the concepts of updates versus commits, etc, I have definitely been
somewhat shocked at the amount of guidance needed by trainees of mine
in the past.

Running Subversion locally is probably a better bet when you're
starting out; it's a bit easier, it's probably used by a majority of
open source developers, and it transitions easily to a hosted scenario.

Then as you gain experience working with revisioned code in general,
you can investigate other options, like bzr-svn or "pure" bzr.

-phil