[Twisted-Python] twisted.protocols.telnet is deprecated. But how should I migrate?

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Sat Jun 7 23:28:44 EDT 2008

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 20:24:32 +0200, Marcin Kasperski <marcin.kasperski at softax.com.pl> wrote:

>Long time ago I wrote some code using twisted.protocols.telnet.Telnet.
>Now I get:
>
>   DeprecationWarning: As of Twisted 2.1, twisted.protocols.telnet is
>   deprecated.  See twisted.conch.telnet for the current, supported
>   API.
>
>The problem is ... I do not know how to migrate. Bare substitution
>of twisted.conch.telnet instead of twisted.protocols.telnet does not
>work (my code, which subclassed Telnet and provided welcomeMessage,
>checkUserAndPass, and loggedIn, simply is not called).
>
>I checked for docs, but twisted.conch has only some docs about SSH
>clients, and by looking only at the code I can't figure what should I
>do. I suspect that I should use AuthenticatingTelnetProtocol but I do
>not understand how should I do it (what is this portal, why should
>I return some other protocol).
>
>I grepped through all examples for this class, but found nothing.
>
>So: how should one migrate twisted.telnet.Telnet to
>twisted.conch.telnet? Does there exist any example of simple telnet
>server?

http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2007-June/015623.html
may help somewhat.  There are also some examples in doc/conch/examples/
and on the website.

twisted.conch.telnet.Telnet is a much more complete telnet implementation.
It also lacks the application-specific features that were present in
twisted.protocols.telnet.Telnet, like welcomeMessage and loggedIn.

AuthenticatingTelnetProtocol is vaguely like the old Telnet class, but it
is intended more as an example of what kind of things you can do, rather
than a robust base class for whatever your application requires.

Jean-Paul