[Twisted-Python] From prototype to production

nadine newmom72 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 25 11:38:30 EDT 2008

Hi,

Many thanks to the creators and developers of Twisted.

I have been using Twisted to develop a prototype (using an Dell desktop) for an inline DPI server. Needless to say, Twisted made the development time much shorter, and I am very grateful for that.

I now want to migrate from prototype to production. I was fully expecting to use an intel IXP server, and having to learn its OS and low-level programming languages. But intel itself told me that they are discontinuing that family, and are recommending the use of multi-core general-purpose servers.

If that is the case, then it is tempting to think that I can use the exact same python software I developed for the prototype in the production server. Mind you, for the prototype I was testing three simultaneous users. For production, I am likely to have 5000 simultaneous users per server.

Is this thinking correct? Are there any obvious scalability issues that I would encounter if I used python in production? Is it automatically obvious that I need to reprogram my methods in C, or even a lower-level language?

Thanks.

N.