[Twisted-Python] Twisted Hosting and Twisted in the Cloud

Andy Fundinger Andy at NewWorldElectric.com
Tue Jul 8 22:16:31 EDT 2008

So the model's base or metaclass would handle synchronization and the rest
of the app would have to be effectively stateless with the cloud handling
routing and instantiation inherently?  That would work but be a big step
form the way I'm working today where my model handles permanent storage and
my resource instances handle non-persistent game data internally.  Do you
have a mailing list or wiki where you're laying out ideas?  I'd be
interested to join in on that.

- Andy

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Duncan McGreggor <duncan.mcgreggor at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Andy Fundinger
> <Andy at newworldelectric.com> wrote:
> > Cloud support would be nice.  I have a twisted app(a web service to
> > implement a game server for Second Life) that is likely to have a rough
> > scaling curve with bursty usage.  Atm I'm running it on a dedicated
> virtual
> > box with plans to go to EC2 and then multiple EC2s, but a single cloud
> > instance would be better. I've already got a decoupled permanent
> datastore
> > which interfaces to SDB for a cloud should work from that angle too.
> >
> > What would twisted look like on a cloud?  Would the main reactor still be
> > single threaded with threads being distributed or would we have to
> > rearchitect for multiple main reactors by port or path?
>
> Hey Andy, I never replied to your question.
>
> We've been discussing several ways in which this would be done, and so
> far none of them would require application developers to do anything
> too radical. By definition, if you are moving to a new architecture,
> something needs to be re-architected :-) One solution that we've
> prototyped simply involves creating a small "model" object and passing
> it to a new service. In that instance there is very little that a
> developer would have to do. With support for things like
> auto-discovery and messaging, even that step might (in many cases) go
> away and you'd just have to instantiate a particular service.

Blog: http://channel3b.wordpress.com
Second Life Name: Ciemaar Flintoff

What would you do if they outlawed hypothetical questions?