[Twisted-Python] Bloody Twisted VFS

Andy Gayton andy at thecablelounge.com
Fri Jul 4 13:27:23 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Jonathan Lange <jml at mumak.net> wrote:
> Yeah, that would be a good time for me, as long at it's after 2200 UTC.

Hey Jono, sorry again that we didn't get the conversation online into irc.

Here's a quick recap of what came out of the discussions:

 * The immediate goal is to settle on just enough of the core
interface to be certain it can be expanded in the directions which
will be needed in backwards compatible ways, so we can do a release.

 * open should explicit state the flags and permission it takes.  It
shouldn't use posix constants.  At first we'll just support a small
subset that makes sense for all platforms.

 * createFile should be subsumed by open - the exclusive flag should
just be apart of open's flags.

 * open should return a separate IO object, instead of self handling IO directly

 * The primitive interface for IO should be producer/consumers,
replacing readChunk, writeChunk.  This interface is primitive enough
to express all other interfaces, while still providing the opportunity
to optimize streaming performance.  The producer/consumer interface
will need to take an offset to allow readChunk and writeChunk to be
implemented.

 * we're still postponing handling of symlinks

 * we're still using getMetadata and setMetadata - its likely we want
a layer on top of using arbitrary key/value dicts for metadata, but
this can be introduced in a backwards compatible way.

 * we still need to decide whether path resolution should be moved to
a separate interface, instead of being part of the node's interface.

 * there's concern over the package name.  twisted.tree has
considerable support :)

I'll try and make these changes in the next week or so.  If you are
interested in shaping how this goes, you can track what's going on in
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/2815 - just weigh in once the
ticket goes back to review.

cheers,
Andy.