[Twisted-Python] twistedsnmp

Justin Warren daedalus at eigenmagic.com
Sun Jan 27 20:47:04 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 19:56 +0100, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I had to use agent part of twistedsnmp [0]. This part was primarily done
> to  test  manager part,  therefore,  it  lacks  important features  like
> handling of deferred to return results. To circumvent this limitation, I
> have  hacked a  bit  to  make a  small  patch to  allow  limited use  of
> deferred [1].

You could try libsnmp[1]: http://www.seafelt.com/libsnmp. It's been in
active, production use for several years now by various people.

> I have  proposed the patch to the  author but got no  answer. Looking at
> the CVS  [2], it seems that  twistedsnmp is unmaintained  since almost 2
> years.  Has  anybody  any news  about  this?  Is  there any  reason  why
> twistedsnmp is not integrated into Twisted?

No idea. I have proposed merging libsnmp with twisted at some stage, and
really should get it done. For an example of how to use libsnmp with
twisted, check out the seafelt-backend code here:
http://www.seafelt.com/software/seafelt-daily/sources/, specifically
lib/seafelt/poller_snmp.py.

[1] Disclosure: I wrote libsnmp, so I'm biased about how good it is.

--
Justin Warren <daedalus at eigenmagic.com>