[Twisted-Python] Soon to be not-a-newbie?

Simon Pickles sipickles at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:17:50 EST 2008

L. Daniel Burr wrote:

> You make no mention of interfaces, which I think are key to
> understanding Twisted.

Oh ok, this is interesting. I have been dabbling for ages on and off
with twisted and I heard my first mention of interfaces YESTERDAY in the
o'Reilly book (it didn't explain them either!)

Please, tell me more!

>> (btw, ALL tutorials never make clear which functions are overridden,
>> and which are newly-defined)
>>

> There's a good point.  Perhaps the tutorials should provide more links to
> the API documentation, specifically, to the interfaces being implemented
> by these classes.  Once you look at the interfaces a given class
> implements,
> it is easy to see what is being overridden.

Maybe a simple naming convention would help here. noLeadingCaps for
twisted functions and LeadingCaps for defined? or a few inline comments
in code samples? ;)

> I note the smiley, but still, you're exaggerating quite a bit here.  For
> most jobs, you do the same basic dance:
>
> - create a protocol
> - create a factory
> - create a driver script, or a service if you need a daemon.

I had to admit, as I wrote my criticism, it didn't 'sound' as tricky as
it once had!

I know I will grow to really like twisted. Maybe its just very BIG. When
you start, you don't know which parts are useful to you. eg, I was using
twisted.internet loads, and battling with threaded SQL queries until I
stumbled across twisted.enterprise.adbapi. Good job I did!

Nice to pick your brain!

ta

Simon