[Twisted-Python] twistedsnmp

Vincent Bernat bernat at luffy.cx
Fri Jan 25 11:56:52 MST 2008

Hello !

I had to use agent part of twistedsnmp [0]. This part was primarily done
to  test  manager part,  therefore,  it  lacks  important features  like
handling of deferred to return results. To circumvent this limitation, I
have  hacked a  bit  to  make a  small  patch to  allow  limited use  of
deferred [1].

I have  proposed the patch to the  author but got no  answer. Looking at
the CVS  [2], it seems that  twistedsnmp is unmaintained  since almost 2
years.  Has  anybody  any news  about  this?  Is  there any  reason  why
twistedsnmp is not integrated into Twisted?

It seems that there is another  implementation by ZenOSS [3] but it does
not  include  agent  part.  Do  you know  if  this  implementation  will
supersede twistedsnmp?

I attach my patch to this message for posterity (if it can be useful for
other people).

[0] http://twistedsnmp.sourceforge.net/
[1] Limited because you cannot use  nested deferred. If you have any tip
    to easily implement this, you are welcome.
[2] http://twistedsnmp.cvs.sourceforge.net/twistedsnmp/twistedsnmp/
[3] http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/pynetsnmp.html