[Twisted-Python] Re: Teach Me Twisted?

alex clemesha clemesha at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 19:10:59 EST 2008

Hi there,

Thanks Steve Holden for organizing this, it's a great idea.

I've been using twisted for about a year now and I love it,
I'm a classic case of (as you can read all over the web):
 "after the learning curve, you'll love Twisted"
so, yeah, more learning materials would be great for those starting out.

Some nice topics might include:

a) Start off simple with a "twisted.web2" example (everyone "gets" http)

b) then plug that into a simple sqlite database using "twisted.enterprise"

c) then plug some simple usage of "twisted.pb" that does something
    in the backend, that gets presented to the pages being served by "
twisted.web2"

d) Show how using "twistd" is really convient
(i.e. "twistd -ny server.tac" and "twistd -y server.tac", with some logging
capability, etc)

Anyways, these are just random ideas, but they are things that took me a
while to
get going with, but now I find them so clean and useful.

Regarding Paul's post:

I did something like that a few month back and had a hard time gathering
> all the pieces of information ;) I still can't believe I have to parse
> raw response strings to handle POST ;))

You don't!  This is all you need:

from twisted.web2 import resource, http, http_headers

CTYPE = {'content-type': http_headers.MimeType('text', 'html',
{'charset':'utf-8'})}

GetSomePostData(resource.PostableResource):

    def render(self, request):
        postval0 = request.args.get("val0", [""])[0]
        postval1 = request.args.get("val1", [""])[0]
        html = myhtmltemplates.comment_form_response(postval0, postval1)
#for example
        return http.Response(200, CTYPE, html)

- Alex