[Twisted-Python] Twisted.Web, Twisted.Web2, or something else?

Shawn Smiley ssmiley483 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 18:42:03 EST 2008

Hi all,

What is the groups opinion on which web library to use as the basis of my system?

I've started the work using Twisted.Web, but would like a sanity check before I go too far down this path.

The piece of a larger system that I'm working on is basically a generic communication bridge application that will allow various external systems to talk to our system.  The initial release of this system is implementing a simple HTTP GET Server that allows the external systems to use a URL to either send small amounts of data to or request data from our system.

Here is an example scenario:

Our bridge application would be installed on an interactive kiosk.  The kiosk presentation would be able to report usage data by calling a URL such as http://localhost:8000/ReportUsage?ScreenID=1234.  The bridge application would receive this request, write it to a local data cache for later batch uploading to a central server.  The local HTTP Server would return a simple text or XML response to the calling application to indicate success/failure of the request.

Eventually we want to have a variety of interfaces that are tailored to specific types of applications.  But for right now we're looking at implementing the lowest common denominator which is exchanging information via simple HTTP calls.

So getting back to my original question, is Twisted.Web or Twisted.Web2 the better framework to use in this case or is there another framework than Twisted that may work better?

NOTE: I'm working in Python 2.5 and Twisted 2.5 if that makes any difference. Primary development is being done on Linux but with the goal of being able to run on Linux, Windows, or Mac.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.

-Shawn