[Twisted-Python] Re: How to make a secure connection between two computers

Martin Geisler mg at daimi.au.dk
Thu Feb 14 06:42:48 EST 2008

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:

> Martin Geisler wrote:
>> Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> writes:
>>> Yes, although TLS is commonly referred to as SSL, and Twisted's
>>> "SSL" support is actually support of SSL and TLS.
>> Okay, good to know.
> For the record, TLS is effectively the standardization of SSL by the
> IETF for inclusion into protocol stacks - SSL was originally
> provided as an application shim library layered over TCP, and had to
> be linked into every application that used it.
> TLS can, I believe, also be referred to as SSL version 3.1, and I
> understand that the only significant change was the addition of a
> broader and more recent set of cipher specifications.

Thanks for the explaination. My application is an implementation of
secure multi-party computation, and to argue that the whole thing is
secure from top to bottom, I didn't want to use an old version (SSL)
if I could use something newer (TLS). But if there isn't any
compelling reason, I might of course just as well to with SSL(3).

Martin Geisler

VIFF (Virtual Ideal Functionality Framework) brings easy and efficient
SMPC (Secure Multi-Party Computation) to Python. See: http://viff.dk/.