[Twisted-Python] Re: How to make a secure connection between two computers

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Feb 14 05:49:34 EST 2008

Martin Geisler wrote:
> Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> writes:
>
>>> I am using TLS via GNUTLS via python-gnutls :-)
>>>
>>>  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-gnutls
>>>
>>> As I understand it, TLS is the successor to SSL. Python-gnutls
>>> contains an example echo server and client that using Twisted and TLS.
>> Yes, although TLS is commonly referred to as SSL, and Twisted's "SSL"
>> support is actually support of SSL and TLS.
>
> Okay, good to know.

For the record, TLS is effectively the standardization of SSL by the
IETF for inclusion into protocol stacks - SSL was originally provided as
an application shim library layered over TCP, and had to be linked into
every application that used it.

TLS can, I believe, also be referred to as SSL version 3.1, and I
understand that the only significant change was the addition of a
broader and more recent set of cipher specifications.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119