[Twisted-Python] Re: How to make a secure connection between two computers

Martin Geisler mg at daimi.au.dk
Tue Feb 12 14:08:21 EST 2008

Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> writes:

>>I am using TLS via GNUTLS via python-gnutls :-)
>>  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-gnutls
>>As I understand it, TLS is the successor to SSL. Python-gnutls
>>contains an example echo server and client that using Twisted and TLS.
> Yes, although TLS is commonly referred to as SSL, and Twisted's "SSL"
> support is actually support of SSL and TLS.

Okay, good to know.

>>To generate the certificates I use this Makefile:
>> [snip]
> One can also use recent versions of twisted.internet.ssl to generate
> certificates.
> See KeyPair, PrivateCertificate, and Certificate (and maybe some other
> stuff, if you want) here:
>  http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/api/twisted.internet.ssl.html

Thanks! I actually do want to replace the Makefile with Python to make
it cross-platform. In that regard I probably also have to replace the
python-gnutls library since it has no Windows binaries (that I could

I initially stayed away from pyOpenSSL since

* it seems dead: last release was in 2004 with Windows installers for
  Python 2.1. This message seems to indicate that a live form exists:

* the OpenSSL license issue. My project is under the GPL and therefore I
  would prefer a library under the (L)GPL too to make things simple.

* The GnuTLS has a nice (maybe biased) comparison page:

Is there a cross-platform GPL compatible library out there that will
give me TLS for Linux, Mac, and Windows on Python 2.4 and upwards?

Martin Geisler

VIFF (Virtual Ideal Functionality Framework) brings easy and efficient
SMPC (Secure Multi-Party Computation) to Python. See: http://viff.dk/.