[Twisted-Python] [ANN] Twisted joins Software Freedom Conservancy, Now Accepting Tax-Deductable Donations

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Thu Feb 7 12:58:01 EST 2008

A little less than a year ago, we were approached by Erik Dahl of Zenoss
about creating a legal entity which Zenoss (and hopefully others!) could
use to donate to Twisted.  Accepting money in some official capacity
would allow us to finance things like sprints, releases, maintenance
work, dedicated reviewer time, as well as offsetting the ongoing costs
to the founders of the project such as hosting and domain registration.

It's been a long, hard road to get there, but the Twisted project has
finally, very recently joined the Software Freedom Conservancy.  So
recently, in fact, that we won't be on the web page -
http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/ - for another day or two.

Creating a full-fledged foundation can be a pretty serious hassle, and
Twisted has historically been strapped for qualified personnel.  The
Conservancy has allowed us to pool legal resources with other projects,
such as Inkscape, Samba, and Wine, to reduce the management overhead
associated with creating an official legal entity.

Some of you may have noticed that we recently added a Google Checkout
link to the front page of twistedmatrix.com.  This new link points to
Conservancy's account for us, which is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3)
organization.  As a result, donations to Twisted are now tax-deductable.

In the coming weeks, we plan to announce our first group of donors, as
well as different levels of sponsorship, allowing future organizations
and individuals to be recognized for their contributions.  We also plan
to create a mailing list for sponsors above a certain level to direct
our attention to the issues which are important to them.

If your company would like to be mentioned in that initial announcement,
please drop us a line at tsf at twistedmatrix.com, and we would be happy to
discuss our plans for sponsorship levels with you.

We also plan to have a level of sponsorship for individuals who just
want to chip in a little, but those of you who donate before we make the
official announcement will get an honorable mention of some kind.
(Given that we still have to figure this stuff out, I don't know *what*
kind, but we'll do something.)

This is all thanks to the tireless efforts of Itamar Shtull-Trauring,
and Karen Sandler from the Conservancy.