[Twisted-Python] Re: Pyjamas + web2py + twisted vs Django + Pinax (Cary Hull)

Cary Hull cary.hull at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 11:04:32 EST 2008

It would work for your 1, 3, and 4. There's a bit of documentation for both.
Athena is not a gui toolkit, however. It provides a nice bidirectional
rpc mechanism
between Nevow server and browser js.

Pyjamas desktop is just a wrapper to create a standalone packaging of
app resources with webkit.

I suppose that you don't want to get your hands dirty with js/dom.
It may be possible to hook the Pyjamas UI stuff to Athena, dunno.

Interesting article:
http://ejohn.org/blog/javascript-language-abstractions/

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Theron D. Huffman
<huffman at tokyo.email.ne.jp> wrote:
> Thanks Cary,
>
> Where would Nevow/Athena fit in my strategy? 1, 2, 3 , or 4?
>
> Actually I have looked at Nevow/Athena and I'm very afraid of using it
> because there's only a few examples and a complete lack of documentation.
>
> Dan
>

>> Message: 7
>> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:57:54 -0800
>> From: "Cary Hull" <cary.hull at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Twisted-Python] Pyjamas + web2py + twisted vs Django +
>> Pinax
>> To: "Twisted general discussion" <twisted-python at twistedmatrix.com>
>>
>> Have you looked at Nevow/Athena?
>> http://divmod.org/trac/wiki/DivmodNevow
>>
>> -Cary
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Theron D. Huffman
>> <huffman at tokyo.email.ne.jp> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm about to start programming a game in Python. The game will be a
>>> web-based board game with a social aspect, something like
>>> http://www.chesspark.com. I want the game to run in both browsers and as
>>> desktop client. Therefore I'm wondering what python-based technologies I
>>> need. I know that Javascript/AJAX is necessary for the browser part so I
>>> have decided on the following:
>>>
>>> 1. Pyjamas -  (for the AJAX browser stuff)
>>>
>>> 2. Pyjamas-desktop - (for the desktop client)
>>>
>>> 3. Web2py (or djanjo, or django+pinax)  - for the website on which the
>>> game
>>> will run and for database access and social part - login, chat, members,
>>> profiles, game history, etc.)
>>>
>>> 4. Twisted - for the networking and chat functionality.
>>>
>>> 5. Pygame - for most of the game stuff, sprites, inages, etc. (Actually I
>>> don't know if Pygame is necessary for a board-type game.)
>>>
>>> My understanding of the above technologies is still limited and I'm not
>>> sure
>>> if I need all of these because some functionality may be overlapped. e.g.
>>> don't know where Pyjamas leaves off and where web2py/danjo/pinax begins.
>>>
>>> Can someone please give me some advice?
>>>
>>> Kindest Regards,
>>> Dan Huffman
>>>
>>> www.WHITokyo.info  What's Happening In Tokyo podcast